Saturday, April 17, 2010

My job description


Some people think my job consists of being out in the villages all day, teaching, painting and having fun. It’s not. Fun, yes, teaching and painting all day, no. Being a director means I actually do a lot of directing. Besides directing, my job is mostly about writing reports, grant proposals, important emails, silly emails, annoying emails and unfortunately also a lot of spelling corrections in the reports of my darling employees whose native language is Spanish while mine isn’t, but who need my spelling check way more than I do theirs. And then there’re tons of evaluations; updating of websites and blogs; some more directing to do; even more orthographic disasters; and yes, occasionally I do conduct a workshop.
Anyway, there are also burdens I don’t have. I’m more than happy that we do not run a scholarship program or provide material aid to the community, so at least I don’t have to drag drop-outs back to school; deal with long lines of people who want just anything as long as it’s free; or dreadful inventories of goods received and distributed. But every once in a while there’s a person or family or even a whole community that touches your heart and makes you want to do something special. Maritza from the village of El Triunfo is one of those people and I’m glad we got the funding from Join!forkids to fix up the school (see a few posts back). We recently received some crates from Angela Rivas and Howard Rosenzweig that were used to transport marble for the bathroom in their new hotel and with some plywood, paint and imagination we transformed them in bright and colourful furniture for the “Carin Steen” Kindergarten in El Triunfo.
Another few of our favourite people are Ángel and Darwin Fuentes, two boys we have helped through school for the last few years (thanks to the support of our friend Cesar Borregón). The family’s just got a piece of land assigned and their biggest wish is to be able to build a small house. Not much is needed, but more than the family can afford. I said I’d try to find help and posted a request on our Facebook page. Less than two weeks later, helps is on its way: an ex-volunteer from Canada, Allison H. decided not to ask for any gifs for her upcoming wedding, but for donations for the Fuentes family instead. I can’t wait to bring them the good news! You see, not really my job, but a lot of fun.
By the way, Maritza Dubón came to town yesterday to register her month-old granddaughter. The little girl’s name is Carin Maritza. Poor thing, named after a Kindergarten!
Carin Steen

No comments: